Thursday, November 02, 2006

Scareapalooza

I have always wanted to celebrate a 'real' Halloween. It's such a cool concept - dress up, revel in the mysterious vibes, frolic around the neighbourhood, receive junk food, consume junk food. Unfortunately, it is not a holiday with an established tradition in Australia.

Despite this, throughout my childhood my friends and I maintained the faith, and did our best to trick-or-treat year after year.

And year after year, the experience was kind of depressing.

Firstly, it was always freezing, and there really isn't as much warmth in a lycra catsuit as you might think. Secondly, thanks to the endless scaremongering regarding razor blades in apples and poisoned lollies (was there any basis at ALL for those urban myths?) combined with the unfortunate spate of high profile child kidnappings that plagued Melbourne during the early 90s, our parents were terribly anxious that trick-or-treating would see us meet a grisly end. So we were only allowed to trick-or-treat at the houses of people we knew, and this, of course, meant forever turning up at the houses of local Lefty academics, artists and social workers who would inevitably react with: "
*suspicious look* Isn't this an AMERICAN celebration?" or "Never heard of it. Can you share one Malt-o-Milk between the 6 of you?" or "Chocolate is bad. Here, have some carob!"

It was kind of crushing, especially given that television, books and movies from overseas had given us such high hopes.

I had another crack at trick-or-treating when I was about 13. My girlfriends and I hit up a rich suburb where a much older boy, on whom we all had massive crushes, lived. We found his address in the phone book,
disguised ouselves sufficently, worked the rest of his street with some success and eventually rode the sugar high to his front door, where we were nearly savaged by his severely pissed-off dog. Would have served us right if we had been bitten, creepy little band of stalkers that we were. Yikes. The boy looked confused and slightly afraid of us - I can't remember if we got decent lollies from him or not. I do remember that the guy in the preceeding house had shut the door in our faces ("Trick-or--" *SLAM*), and the one in the next house along freaked us out by exclaiming earnestly, "I love the Mexican Day of the Dead! I've got some shrunken heads, do you want to see them?" Again, not exactly what Peanuts, episodes of Roseanne or (in my case) 'Meet Me In St Louis' has led us to expect.

Last year, I was still overseas in October. I was in the States, the UK and Europe for the Halloween lead up, and witnessed the shops busting out their special decorations and the papers featuring spreads on costumes and decorations. Finally, I thought, here was my chance to experience a
real Halloween! Yes! Rock! Orright! Except-- not. Sadly, due to a scheduling conflict I spent the night of October 31st sleeping on the floor at England's Stansted Airport, wrapped in some newspaper to keep warm. Memorable - for all the wrong reasons.

The good news is, this weekend I will actually be attending a Halloween party. Belated, yes - but still. Sweet! What to wear? (I've
totally planned well in advance, as you can see.) I was thinking about going as Wednesday Addams, but I'm getting my overly long, oboe-playing virgin-esque hair cut before the bash (finally!) and that was half the reason for the choice. My younger brother, the Boy Wonder, is coming too and we had thoughts of a duet. I have a snobbish reluctance to 'hire' a costume. The Fish Family tradition has always been to make one, or adapt an existing outfit. But having failed to get our shit together we might have stoop to the rubes level and sub-contract to a professional. Suggestions are welcomed.

While sourcing ideas I found this site, which (as well as actually good ones) has costume suggestions like:

Ceiling Fan: Write "Go Ceilings!" on the front of your shirt. And don't forget to cheer!
Blinghis Khan: Dress like Genghis Khan (armor, mandarin mustache, etc.), then add "bling," fur trim, etc.
Cardiac Arrest: She dresses up as a big red heart (cut out of cardboard or cloth) and wears handcuffs. He dresses like a cop.
Peace and Quiet: One person dresses like a hippie (jeans, flowered shirt, peace signs, beads, headband, etc.). The other person dresses up like a mime (striped shirt, black pants, suspenders, white facemakeup, etc.). [heh. I quite like that one.]
Also here's some photos of dogs in costumes because I can't help myself when I see them. (Thanks to Snaz for links)














"I could really fucking use some Force rite now kthxbye
"

Your further reading for today - Stateside author and blogger Maureen Johson has her own Halloween stalker story - and it's a ripper. Ruth has also blogged some Halloweeny goodness - extra points for the 'Worst Witch' reference. (By the way, if you need to feel inadequate, consider that Ruth has only just turned 21. Freaky genius.)

The Jelly Verdict
I know many people consider Halloween to be just crass US cultural imperialism. I could muster some well-argued rebuttals - for a start, the origins are Irish - but what it really boils down to is this: I simply can't disapprove of a holiday that encourages the wearing of zany costumes in public. I'm sure you'll find some affection for this campy supernatural event in your own heart
if you dig deep - it's probably buried under your Christmas spirit or beneath the horseradishy smell left over from Pesach.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Support the underdog. Celebrate Halloween.

15 comments:

Anonymous 2/11/06  

It's a northern hemispheric holiday. What gives it something over and above crass commercialism in the other half of the world is the fact that summer's over, days are getting short, shadows long, and everyone's in for a long sad dark winter.

Desci 2/11/06  

Eee! Yodapug is the Mayor of Wrongtown! I sent the picture to Boyfriend straight away.

george 2/11/06  

the other george and I only ever get trick-or-treated when we're unprepared - this year we stocked up on goodies and got no visits; last year I was being... whatever the hallowe'en equivalent of Scrooge is... and the cutest munchkin rolled up (as a fairy, mind you - is that legit for hallowe'en?) - and we had nothing...

Her lip-trembling disappointment was heart-breaking, and we could hear the world-weary sighs of her discretely distant parental onlookers. Then - luckily! - other george had a eureka moment and rushed off to scrounge up a couple of chuppa chups (No idea to this day why he had them, ahem). Happy child, enormous parental gratitude... good times.

Then there was the year the 17-year-olds got beer...

This year, however, no takers - so I got to eat the goodies. 'course other george made me ring the doorbell and say trick-or-treat for every sherbie - bastard!

lili 2/11/06  

my mother and i completely forgot, didn't have so much as a tiny teddy to give the children. our first plan was to pretend we weren't at home.

yeah right. doorbell rings. dog goes bananas. mum and i are very very quiet. kid knocks on door. yells "excuse me! carole! open the door!"

we gave them free books. which i think is somewhat along the carob lines, but not so evil or disappointing.

Cloudy 2/11/06  

I'm writing this without reading the whole post, so fore-polgs* if I'm repeating anything.

Hallowe'en is originally an Irish holiday (there's a sequence in My Left Foot with jack-o-lanterns made from turnips and a bonfire and shit) so anti-american sentiment shouldn't stop us from doing it. And it's one of those pagan-pretending-to-be-xian holidays which I think should be encouraged.

Shameful Hallowe'en story: some kids, in costumes rolled up to my front door one October 31, and I didn't have any lollies so I gave them a packet of textas I had lying around...they were colourful! And...and...for kids...so it seemed appropriate...

Although, if they'd fronted up with a pug dressed as Yoda I would have given them 20 bucks to buy some lollies. I fucking hate pugs.

*Yes, I'm the world's most shithouse neologist.

Mindy 2/11/06  

Halloween is alive and well in Alice Springs. Lots of cute little kids dressed up. The older kids wait until it's dark, but by that time we were usually out of stuff so they had to go to other houses.

Adam 1.0 2/11/06  

Sadly the Great Pumpkin didn't show up this year either.

The greatest moment ever was when Charlie Brown was in a bowling contest with Peppermint Patty when it came to the last frame and he needed one pin to win. Cue him turning around and lobbing the ball out of the door and decking Linus who was waiting in the pumpkin patch.

Real life can never be as satisfying as Peanuts.

audrey 2/11/06  

I love The Great Pumpkin. Something about the memory of it makes me feel all goosebumpy.

I'd love to celebrate halloween here. People bang on about it being American yada yada (even if it ain't) but I say - Big Deal Mamma. Not everything American is bad.

I went to a Halloween party on Saturday night and there were some ace costumes, including:

Smurfette
Sailor Moon
Sheera and He Man
4 Virgin flight attendants
Courtney Love
Deal or No Deal girls
a zebra

I went as an emo. I wore a black wig and clown makeup with scratches on my arms. My killer piece was a black tee shirt that said "EMO - The sound of two boys kissing"

Fuckers didn't get it. Thought I was serious.

You should go as Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty.

PS I love that yoda dog.

Anonymous 2/11/06  

That site has a BUNCH OF GRAPES ON IT.

When I was six years old, just arrived in Australia, my mother sent me to a fancy dress party as a bunch of grapes. The day began to go wrong when she wound a huge piece of green crepe paper round and round my tiny form OUTSIDE MY ARMS so I couldn't eat or go pee-pees.

Then we went to the party, with me at the heart of about twenty purple and green balloons festooned on my body.

It was a hot day. In those days, balloons were more fragile. One by one they exploded until I was a trembling, gibbering wreck.

Why am I still so suspicious of costume parties?

- barista

Anonymous 3/11/06  

Zany costumes in public?

Have you ever considered going to the Melbourne Cup? ;)

Jellyfish 3/11/06  

LucyT, I think you missed the point! Any excuse for costumes is a good excuse, regardless of climate or location (also, as I published this is was freezing and pelting with rain outside. Happy Summer, Melbourne!). Come on, you know you love it. And you of all people know what a shitty time of year this is for students. Long sad and dark pretty much sums up my mood at present (well, short sad and dark)

Desci - head over to Dooce today for even better Lucas-related pooch action. That final shot it divine.

George - Firstly, I'm so glad you're commenting again 'n'that. Still wish you'd blog, though. And it's Murphy's Law with the candy, isn't it, I have had the same problem.

Lili - Ha. I believe your mother just discovered one of the downsides of being a local celebrity. If any of the kiddies in the suburb grow up to be Jehovah's Witnesses, she's screwed.

And books are really okay. I would have preferred books to a lot of the lame-oh crap I used to get offered.

Cloudy - this may be an strange question, but why wouldn't you read the whole post? Am I so unbelievably boring? Oh, and I love pugs! The weirder-looking an animal is, the closer I hold it in my affections.

Mindy - I'm impressed you stock up at all, but PLEASE remember you must never RUN OUT of loot! THAT IS CRUCIAL! See, this is where we go wrong in this country! We just don't take it seriously enough. *sigh*

Adam - I love that someone else shares my love of Peanuts. I remember I used to get frowned on at school for reading them, because they were not 'real' books (mind you, I read plenty of real books too, geek that I was). Which is complete rubbish because much of the content is pitched way above the heads of kids, although my teachers were too thick to realise. Some of the jokes are so sophisticated that re-reading them as an adult I don't know how they made any sense to me when I was a kid.

I remember that bit with the bowling ball! God, poor Charlie Brown. Almost unbearably sad at times. Who could forget them emptying out their sacks full of candy Charlie going, 'I got a rock.' I have a Peanuts children's book about their baseball team which has so much Charlie Brown pathos that I usually lie when I read it to kids, and change the ending so it's happier. *wub*

Also there's a really ace Charlie Brown musical which I blogged about here and I can't believe I've been going on about Peanuts for three paragraphs, I really should get a life.

Audrey - your Halloween party sounds UNREAL! People really went all out hey? Charlie Brown and Patty is a great idea (Patty's experiences as a maths student are so UNBELIEVABLY similar to my own it's scary), but we're too disorganised at this point. We will definitely have to do it in the future. I think this time we'll go as zombies. Gross-coloured makeup and hairspray. Hey, at least we're not ceiling fans.

Barista - Oh! *wub* You poor thing. Reminds me of the kid who came to dress-ups in Prep as Saucepan Man from The Faraway Tree. Most. Uncomfortable. Costume. Ever. At least your mum was original, though (but why would she not allow for the bathroom bits?)

Rob - Meh, I don't like the whole 'drunken bogans dressed as cows' aspect of the Cup, actually. I don't know why since usually I'm good for a costume any time, any place. I guess I just don't much care for the Cup. I did go to the races once. It was cold and expensive. I'd rather go to the movies.

george 3/11/06  

Still wish you'd blog, though

speak/obey: you do the math

george 3/11/06  

*ahem* of course I meant "hear/obey" (or "wish/command")... what was I thinking

Cloudy 3/11/06  

I did read the whole post. I was so keen to write something I skipped the post and read it later. Your posts are always great.

As for pugs, Look At The Hideous Things! Horrible little yapping footballs that look like bulldog Thalidomide victims. This has nothing, by the way, to do with being terrorised by one everyday for seven years on my walk to primary school. Little yappy dogs are terrifying to a six year old. But that has nothing to do with it.

Adam 1.0 5/11/06  

The lesson with Charlie Brown is that no matter how many times he gets screwed over or made to look like a fool he keeps trying. Then eventually after 50 years he hit the winning runs.

 Design and template bastardisation © 2009 Byron Bache. Original template by Ourblogtemplates.com © 2008

Back to TOP