It Takes One Solid Weekend Of Training To Get That Badge
I was standing with my friend Curtis on the tram stop near the corner of Collins and Spencer St, engaged in a cheery discussion about the hypocrisy of the Australian government and the inevitable demise of civilisation as we know it. We paused in our upbeat chat long enough to note that we were opposite the new Krispy Kreme donut city shop. The shop looked busy - there was a queue at the counter, despite the fact that it was after 8pm. Both of us agreed that we didnt really 'get' the whole Krispy Kreme phenomenon. Yes, they're tasty, but, you know, they're still only donuts. Why do people go berzerk for them?
Conversation wandered back onto other topics. Suddenly a siren whooped and two police cars came racing down the street towards us, lights flashing, the works. They pulled up outside Krispy Kreme. Curtis and I were like, whoa, maybe a donut fan has gone mental! Riots in the store as punters fight over the single remaining glazed chocolate item! The cops hopped out of the two cars and headed inside. A few minutes later I was like, What happened, are the cops still in there? We checked - and discovered that no, the cops weren't inside now, they seemed to be standing in a little clump around their cars. They certainly didn't look like they were working hard to break up a hostage situation, or even a food fight.
Curtis: Haha, how funny would it be if the cops have actually just turned up to get some donuts?
Me: Yeah, hahah, you know, cops love their donuts, gobble gobble! Like Chief Wiggum!
And it was at this point that a store employee wearing some kind of wacky get-up - possibly a Krispy Kreme sandwich board-type arrangement - scurried out of the store and handed a large cardboard box to the cops.
Curtis: Oh, no way.
Me: They can't possibly be--
The cops rested the box on the hood of one of the cars, opened it and...
Curtis: They are!
Yes, they were. They were eating them. Cops! Eating donuts! On the job! LIKE CHIEF WIGGUM! And they'd driven up with sirens a-blarin' and lights a-flashin', and everything! Curtis and I stood shocked. Complete strangers started to join us.
Businessman: Did those cops just turn up at Krispy Kreme to score donuts--
Us: Yep.
Irish Accent: And now they're all standing around eating them?
Us: Yep.
Businessman: Good God.
Irish Accent: *baffled* You mean... Just -- car -- arrive-- cops-- now -- donut -- eating?
Us: You are correct, sir.
After a bit more head-shaking and muttering from those of us watching along the lines of 'Am I dreaming?' 'I can't believe that just happened' and 'Why don't you go and catch some fucking rapists, you knobs,' the transport arrived and I left, but not before Curtis and I, without a camera or phone to record the incident, resolved I must blog it.
The Jelly Verdict
And so I do, in order that the story not be lost and forgotten forever in the sands of time. The tale must be told. Mine own eyes did not deceive. Your taxes at work. WIGGUM LIVEZ.


15 comments:
How are they going to run after the baddies when they are beating their chests, hoping for dear life that their hearts are strong enough to pump beyond the now "kreme" filled arteries? Heavens...
oh jelly, this is unbelievable.
I love it.
ps have you been keeping an eye on Mik in 'M'? She does boys too! I really DID think he was wearing make up.
I got to read 'S' this week as well, I very much enjoyed their indepth analyses of parties.They do a 'hit' and 'miss' on each one, including all the terribly annoying spilling of cocktails that goes on complete with bitchy comments etc... I almost want 'M' to become Sydney superficial and follow suit just to provide you with blog fodder for my own benefits.
I was regaling my parents with this tonight 'Can you believe it?! With the sirens and EVERYTHING!' but wasn't getting much of a reaction - turns out they did the same at Macca's when they were cops.
'What - just like they did?!'
'Well, we couldn't do it JUST like them Enny, they didn't have Krispy Kreme then...'.
I used to work at Mr. Donuts in Brooklyn and can swear that this happens more than once a day.
On the other hand, NOBODY robs a donut shop.
I went to high school in an area with a high concentration of donut stores, all of which seemed to have a cop car permanently stationed in the parking lot. We all got a good laugh when a new directional sign was put up on the highway near school. It was meant to show where to turn to get to the local police station, but the way it was set up made it look like it was pointing directly to the Dunkin Donuts.
the firemen used to do this in williamstown where i grew up. except they'd hop in the truck and head down to the pizza and video shops, sirens blaring.
chief wiggum is an archetypal u.s. cop... the joke here has been, for years, that cops cannot go an hour without donuts. wiggum is a caricature of that.
so it's not so much cops imitating wiggum... it's cops imitating wiggum imitating cops. still, the sirens were a bit much.
This is great news. I fully support our working men and women in uniform in the application of justice. The siren was a bit over the top, admittedly, but fair enough. Justice must not only be done, but be seen to be done. Or something.
Bit confused, though. Shouldn't this be a matter for the federal police?
CONSTABLE:
"You are being arrested on charges of deliciousness!"
DONUT:
"I ain't saying nuffin, copper!"
CONSTABLE:
"You do not have to say anything, but if you choose to make a statement, you will be taken down and eaten in court!"
DONUT:
"Yeah, you ain't got shit on me, copper! You can't touch me!"
CONSTABLE:
"As a matter of fact, I think I'll eat you right now!"
DONUT:
"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-L-L-L-LL-PPP!!! RAPE!!! MURDER!!! I'M BEING OPPRESSED!!! I'M BEING EATEN!!!"
CONSTABLE:
"Mmmmfff!!!
Tasty, sweet, crunchy, and addictive! Guilty on all four counts of deliciousness!"
Jelly, I think you should make this an election issue!
Cast IRon Balcony
(Word verification is OWREEJ! The sound doughnuts make as they die)
If you eat kreme donuts, one day the inside workings of your ears will go soft.
They are made by teh devil.
- barista
Good to see my tax dollars hard at work.
I salute them.
Wow, that's a crazy story!
good story jelly, you make me laugh
Post a Comment